Sunday, May 13, 2007

what vacay?

My vacay ended April 26, when I went to Batangas for an interview.

Unexpectedly, I was accepted for their summer internship (for 24 days until June 1). Of course, I was ecstatic at first because I will be working in a hardcore chemical plant. A dream of a chemical engineering student who has been just looking at books for the past 4 years. That was until I had to start working on my project: Evaluation of the Demineralization Plant.

I had to learn and relearn my ChE 133 stuff. It was the end of my 2-day career as a budding chemical engineer. The JG Summit Petrochem people would find out that their newest intern is a fraud. That he does not know how the heck an ion exchanger works.

So, I had to read mounds upon mounds of chemical engineering books, which are, not really enjoyable to read. I had to filter out a lot of complicated stuff from Perry's, which provide little help on adorption and ion exchange, but is a great source for physical data. I had to re-read Foust, and refer to McCabe and other books. I had to do research over the internet, since they would probably explain the matter fully in a few, ordinary words. But my quest for digestible literature over the internet is futile. Oftentimes, I need to be a member of some journal-subscription website to access the really good stuff. The free stuff are overviews and do not tell me how to design an ion exchanger.

So far I had a really miserable OJT because of the work I had to do. It's like I entered an abstract art critiquing job rather than a process engineering job. Another factor that added to my misery is that I had to stay in Batangas (100 kms away from home) for five days. That means no TV, no siblings, no other friends and fun activities for five days. Every Friday, I feel like I'm getting out of prison. Anyway, thanks to Mils and Carlo, life at Batangas has become bearable for me. They had been such nice people and I have easily adapted to the routine they had two weeks before I came along.

I'm just hoping to get through designing. It would be a nice training for my plant design this coming academic year.
----
I had met the college-version dictator. Probably worse than the "principle"-monster I have met before. I'm just hoping s/he doesn't turn out to be a hypocrite. That would be worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home